With the help of this post you will be able to Update Droid Razr to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Official.
Motorola Rolled out the Jelly Bean Update for the Droid Razr XT912 a bit of time ago, but the OTA update was not seeded to all the users. If you did not get the OTA update from the company, do not worry, you can follow this post to officially update Droid Razr to Jelly Bean Version 4.1.2. Also by applying the update the Root users will lost the root access to their phone, but do not worry, if you want to keep the root access and also update Droid Razr to Jelly bean, I have mentioned a workaround below. This tutorial will help Rooted as well as unrooted users to Update Droid Razr to Jelly Bean 4.1.2
Also Read: Update Droid Razr to KitKAt 4.4.2
Talking about the new interface, there are many changes in the new Jelly Bean Update for Droid Razr. The Motorola Bloatware is missing in the new update, and also the Google Chrome has been made the new default browser of the Droid Razr XT912. And the changes and the UI has now almost transformed into the Stock Vanilla Flavor on Droid Razr, which can be justified by the fact that, Google took over Motorola, so we can see the Stock UI in the future Motorola Phones too. So follow the steps below to Update Droid Razr to Jelly Bean.
Before Updating Droid RAZR:
- This method would work for Rooted devices also, but not for the devices on Custom ROMs. So before starting off, you need to flash back to the Official Stock ROM for Droid Razr.
- If you are rooted, you might temporarily loose root access, but it can be restored later, so do not worry.
- Create backup of all the data and apps on the phone, as they might get lost in the procedure.
- Also you will need a micro SD card, in which we will be placing the update files.
- Also charge your phone upto 50% before updating Droid Razr to Jelly bean, so that the phone does not switch off in the midst of the process.
- Enable the USB Debugging option by navigating into the Developer Options in the Settings Menu.
- Follow all the steps carefully, and make sure the device model is the same. As this tutorial won’t work with any other phone except Droid Razr XT912.
- Download the appropriate Update file for Droid Razr from the links given below.
Also Read: Best Custom ROMs for Droid Razr
Temporarily Unroot Droid Razr:(Unrooted Users Skip)
As said above, the method will work for the rooted devices, but you need to temporarily unroot the device. To temporarily Unroot Droid Razr follow the steps below.
- Install the OTA RootKeeper Application from the Google Play Store. Here is the link
- After installing the app from the Play Store on Droid Razr, launch it and then choose the option “Protect Root”.
- After that choose the option “Temp Unroot”, which off course will remove the root access from the device, and make it temporarily unrooted.
- Close the Applicaiton.
Update Droid Razr XT912 To Jelly Bean 4.1.2 :
Now follow these steps to update Droid Razr to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Official build, which was rolled out in December 2012 by the company. But before starting make sure you have the gone through the points above already.
- Now copy the downloaded files from links mentioned above to your External SD Card. The files be in “.zip: format, do not extract them, just copy it as it is.
- Now boot the phone into the recovery mode. You do not need to have an custom recovery installed on your Droid Razr. it needs to be a Stock Recovery.
- You can do that by pressing the Volume Up+ Volume Down Buttons at the same time, and keep holding them till the logo appears, then release them, and the phone will boot up into the recovery mode.
- After booting int the recovery mode, select the option “Wipe Cache”, do not worry only cache memory will be lost, no data will be lost on the phone.
- Now choose the option “install / apply update from exteranl sdcard/ storage” to update Droid Razr to Jelly Bean. Now navigate to the update file you copied onto the SD card earlier.
- The update process for Droid Razr will start, and it might take up some time, do not interrupt the process and let it complete on it’s own.
- After successful completion the phone will boot into the new updated interface.
- Congratulations you have successfully updated Droid Razr to Jelly Bean.
Now if you had rooted your device, and unrooted it with OTA Rootkeeper app above, you also need to follow the steps below to regain the root access, and the users which did not rooted the Droid RAzr, are done. Enjoy the New Jelly Bean Update on Droid Razr. 🙂
Regain Root Access: (Unrooted Users Skip)
Now for the root users, who temporarily unrooted the Droid Razr by using the OTA Rootkeeper App above. Now if you want to restore you root access to Droid Razr you need to follow the steps below.
- Launch the OTA Rootkeeper Application again.
- Click on the “Restore Root” option to restore the root access on Droid Razr.
- Done, you’ve rooted again.
Now you will again get the root access on Droid Razr, and also you have successfully updated Droid Razr to Jelly Bean. I hope this helped. Enjoy with the new Jelly Bean Gestures.
Incoming Search Terms:
- droid razr jelly bean update download
- droid razr jelly bean update verizon
- jelly bean update for droid razr xt912
- jelly bean update for original droid razr
- jelly bean update for droid razr failed