So you own a Xperia Play and searching for ways to Root Xperia Play? Then yes you at the right place my friend. Rooting has many advangtages, and if you’re still not sure whether you should Root XPeria Play or not, may be you should give it a second thought too. Read: Advantages of Rooting , as this might help you to make up your mind, on whether you should root Xperia Play or not.
Before you Root Sony Xperia Play:
There are a couple of things that you might need to know before you actually start the process to Root Xperia Play. Your concepts about rooting must be clear. Rooting is a method by which one gets the admin roles of the his/her own device in simple rules. By default there are some things that your device won’t let you do, like deleting system apps, altering the processes of the phone. but when you root your phone, you can control everything about your phone, and if done correctly you can use them to really optimize the device to your own needs. read more about Rooting here. Also there are certain disadvantages also when you root your device. The most popular one being, that rooting your device will void you warranty. Also read about more disadvantages of rooting here.
Here are a couple of things that you might need before we start the process to root xperia play.
- First of all make sure the your device is Xperia Play only, and running on gingerbread or ICS only, therwise you might end up bricking your device and we won’t be responsible for it anymore.
- A Computer or a laptop with proper drivers installed for the device. Get drivers from here.
- Also note that you need put down all the firewalls down, and also enable the USB debugging mode in the settings of your phone.
- Also make sure that Android SDK / ADB should properly installed on Computer. Follow this guide to do so.
- Make sure the battery is atleast 70% charged as you might not want the phone to switch off in the middle of the process.
- Rooting your device, might lose all your data. So it is always better to do a full backup of all your data before you start to root Xperia play. Read: Backup Apps, Contacts, and Data using Titanium Backup
- Also download the root files to root your Xperia Play from the download links below.
Download Root File for Xperia Play:
Download the root files to root the Sony Xperia Play from the download links below.
Root file for Gingerbread ( Sorry the download link is currently broken, we will try to fix it ASAP.)
Root Xperia Play on Gingerbread:
Root Xperia Play running on Gingerbread OS from the procedure mentioned below. ICS users skip this portion and scroll down to the ICS procedure.
- Now after you have successfully downloaded the file from the download links above, extract the file that you downloaded to root Xperia play.
- On navigate to Settings>Apps>Development> Development>USB Debugging, and check it to enable the USB debugging on Xperia Play.
- Now go to Settings>Apps> Unknown Sources> and turn it on.
- Now connect the device to the USB cabble and connect it to the computer.
- Now on your Computer or Laptop whatever it is, run the “runne.bat” executable file., and follow the steps as the screen says.
- And finally you will be done with it, and successfully root Xperia play
Root Xperia Play for ICS Users:
Here, Xperia Play Users on ICS, follow these steps to root your device.
- As you have downloaded the files, extract it on the computer/Laptop.
- Now enable the USB debugging option by navigating into the Settings>Apps>Development>USB Debugging.
- Also enable the “Unkown Sources” security check, you can do that by going to the Settings> Apps> Unknown Sources.
- Now connect the Xperia Play to the computer or laptop.
- Now run the “runne.bat”, and then the root procedure will be displayed on the screen, do as the commands on the screen say.
- And finally on success you will Root Xperia Play.
Go ahead and verify whether the phone is rooted or not with the help of the root checker pro app.
So this was a small procedure to Root Sony Xperia Play, by oneclickRoot method. Root Xperia Play on Gingerbread and Root Xperia Play on ICS, I hope this helped. 🙂