So are you looking to install accustom recovery on your Nexus 4, maybe to flash a Rom or get the most out of your root access on the phone, or may it be any other reason for that matter. Here is a post which will help you out for sure.
Before you Install Recovery:
A Recovery is a backup or a master menu that is installed on an android device, from where you can control some basic functions of your android smartphone, like installing updates, data factory reset the phone, with caching options and a couple of other options. But the stock recovery, which is installed on the device from the manufacture is not that flexible and powerful. And if you have already rooted your device, you would need a custom recovery to get the most out of your device, as you might have an idea, that you can’t really install a custom rom on the device with the help of a stock recovery on your phone.
So in this tutorial we will be installing the custom recovery, i.e., cwm on nexus 4 with the help of a recovery image file and flashing it with the help of a computer. This is not at all hard or anything, but you need to follow the steps and the instructions properly, as they can get a bit tricky, if you don’t pay proper attention. So let’s begin with it.
There are some things that you need to get done before you begin with the install recovery on the nexus 4.
- Backup all the personal and the important data on the phone, though it may not get deleted, but still it is advised that you do so.
- You can refer to the the following guides, if you don’t know how to do so.
- Device should be properly charged before you begin with the procedure.
- Also you are required to have root access on your phone.
- A Computer or a Laptop running on windows, with proper ADB drivers installed.
- You can root your phone with the help of the following tutorial, if you haven’t done so.
- If you have rooted, please confirm the root access with the Root Checker Pro.
Here are the files which you are required to download for the procedure to install the recovery on the device. It is advised that you download these directly on the computer you will be using for the procedure.
- Copy the revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip file downloaded from the link above to the root of the SD card of your smartphone.
- Extract Fastboot.zip file on your desktop. This will lead to 4 extracted files, namely :adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll and fastboot.exe.
- Boot your phone into the bootloader mdoe. Do that by first turning your phone off and then press and hold the Volume up + Volume Down + power button simultaneously. You will then see Start written on the screen. Navigate using the volume keys and select the fastboot mode using the power key.
- Now connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- From the extracted folder, open the fastboot folder.
- Open a command prompt window here. Do this by holding down the shift key and right clicking to select the “Open command window here” option.
- Enter the command: fastboot devices.
- Next type the command: fastboot oem unlock. Select the yes option on your phone using the volume keys.
- Copy the recovery file into the fastboot folder.
- Next command would be: recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-mako.img.
- From the fastboot mode, select the reovery mode option using the the volume and power buttons.
- In the recovery mode, select the install zip from SD card option and then choose zip from SD card. /then proceed to select the revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip file.
- Reboot your phone and you will be done.
So this is it, this was a short procedure to install cwm recovery on the Nexus 4. If in case you faced any issue or problem while following the instructions, comment below or contact us, we would try to fix it soon. I hope this post helped you out.