Install Android 4.4.2 on HTC Explorer with the help of this simple tutorial. As you know HTC Explorer is a pretty old device, and so HTC won’t roll out any more system updates for it, so why not install the latest KitKat on the phone yourself?
Before Installing CM 11 KitKat 4.4.2 on HTC Explorer:
Before starting the process to install Android 4.4.2 firmware on HTC Explorer via flashing Cyanogenmod 11, you need to know some things. We will update the HTC Explorer by flashing CM 11 version via the Clockworksmod Recovery. The firmware is smooth and pretty fast, but it might have some bugs, but majority of the things are working fine. And also still as it is in the beta phase, the ROM is not that stable, but again it is not a bad one either. There is no problem while doing daily tasks. And also flashing the CM 11 upgrades you to the Android 4.4 KitKat version, and you get to use all the KitKat gestures on your HTC Explorer. Look at some of the features of this build below:
- Majority of the things working fine, like the Maps v7.0
- It uses the ION memory allocator
- Utilizes the latest graphics libraries, which results to smoother and better graphics results as compared to earlier versions.
- Many hacks have been removed from the firmware which were designed for the older version of the graphics.
- No lag, buttery smooth transitions
- But one reported lag, includes that mic does not work properly with third party apps, like the Voice Search, Sound Recoder, reest everything works fine as mentioned earlier.
Here is a list of things that you will need while trying to update HTC Explorer to KitKat Android 4.4 via CM11. So before starting make sure you have all these things.
- Make sure the device is same, this firmware won’t work for any other device and you might end up bricking your device, so make sure your device is HTC Explorer ( HTC Pico) only.
- A Computer or a laptop with proper drivers for the device installed on it.
- Make sure you have a clockworksmod recovery installed on your device, as we need a recovery to install KitKat on HTC Explorer.
- Also this process will wipe all the data on the phone, so make sure you make backup before starting out. Read Backup Apps, Contacts, and Data using Titanium Backup
- Also download the Firmware files from the download links below.
Download CM11 firmware for KitKat 4.4 :
Download CM 11 firmware file for Android 4.4 KitKat for HTC Explorer below.
Install KitKat via CM 11 Pico:
So lets us start the process of installing KitKat 4.4.2 on HTC Explorer/ HTC Pico now. So follow these steps.
- First enable the USB debugging mode by navigating into the settings.
- Now connect your HTC Explorer to a Computer or a Laptop in which proper drivers are installed using a USB Cable.
- Now you need to move the downloaded file into the SD card of your device.
- Now disconnect the phone, and reboot it into the recovery mode.
- Now click on wipe data, and then Wipe cache, and also Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Now choose the potion “install zip” and then “choose zip from SD card”, and then select the file you downloaded and then placed into the SD card.
- And the device will install the firmware, and after it completes reboot the device.
- Now again reboot the device into the recovery mode, and now flash the Gapps Package, and then reboot again.
- Note: If you already were already on a CM version, like the CM10.2 or CM 10 version, simply flash the firmware file and reboot( No need to wipe data and cache in that case).
- So you’re done!
Congratulations, your HTC Explorer now runs on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat version, via the CM 11 version. I hope this helped.